What is Deduction Code 22?
Code 22s arise when the quantity of an item on the invoice does not match the quantity of that item that was received.
How to Prevent Valid Code 22s
- Be sure that packaging does not obfuscate items being shipped
- Be sure the quantity of each line item invoiced matches the quantity shipped
- Confirm that fulfillment information is correctly flowing to the warehouse (check your EDI)
- If you don’t agree with the quantity ordered, do not short ship. Rather, coordinate with the Replenishment Manager or the buyer to request an updated purchase order.
- Confirm that your items are set up correctly. For example, if Walmart requests that product is shipped as eaches on the Purchase Order (EDI 850), then make sure that your items are set up as eaches and that the Invoice (EDI 810) also reflects eaches. If there are any errors on the Purchase Order then do not ship; instead, reach out to the Replenishment Manager to request an updated PO to reflect the proper setup.
- It is a best practice to NOT co-mingle inventory for different Purchase Orders. Walmart expects one PO shipment per pallet or per box unless you have a written agreement with the RM stating otherwise. If you do include multiple POs in a shipment you must clearly separate them, though it is still not recommended as this is one of the most common reasons for valid shortage claims.
Can Code 22s be Disputed?
Yes, it is common to win back code 22s by proving that all items were shipped in full.
How to Dispute Invalid Code 22s
- Freight bill showing that the number of cases shipped is equivalent to the number of cases billed
- Collect suppliers should provide the signed BOL (Bill of Lading). The Purchase Order number must be clearly listed on this document.
- Prepaid suppliers should provide the signed POD (Proof of Delivery) including a signed gate stamp (dropship trailer stamp) when applicable. The Purchase Order number must be clearly listed on this document.
- Purchase order (EDI 850) showing ordered quantities
- Invoice (EDI 810) showing correct quantities invoiced
- It is a best practice to pull an inventory receipt report from Decision Support System (DSS) in Retail Link to verify how much product Walmart’s system says was received. If your dispute with shipping documents is denied but there is evidence in DSS that a PO was received into the system upon arrival, then it can be disputed again with a copy of the DSS report as proof.